1. Title of the Course
The course shall be known as Rheumatology Specialty Training Course. The degree awarded will be a Doctor of Medical Science (Rheumatology). [Dr.Med.Sc (Rheumatology)]
With the technological advancements of the time, Medical Science, in both basic and clinical portion, has made strides in many directions resulting in establishment of specialist practices in various categories of four disciplines of Medicine. Proliferation of knowledge and advancements in skill are so fast and so large that it is no longer possible for any one in medical profession to possess a complete skill and knowledge of even one major discipline. One can foresee a day when the health care for a person is the responsibility of not a single doctor but of a team comprising of professionals with various skill and knowledge. Thus it become clear the production of medical personnel will require changes that will suit to that future practice. The stage of basic doctor will become a stepping stone of future training in various branches of practices. Rheumatology incorporates the investigation, diagnosis, management and rehabilitation of patients with disorders of the musculoskeletal system i.e., the locomotor apparatus, bone and soft connective tissues. The rheumatological disorders thus include diverse conditions such as inflammatory arthritis, autoimmune rheumatic disorders, soft tissue conditions including injuries, osteoarthritis, spinal pain and other chronic pain syndromes and metabolic bone disease. Rheumatology requires interdisciplinary knowledge and awareness of new developments in internal medicine, immunology, orthopaedics, neurology/pain management, rehabilitation, psychiatry, nursing and professions allied to medicine. Rheumatologists practicing in adult medicine must understand the sequelae of childhood and adolescent rheumatological disease. To become a fully competent Rheumatologist, it obviously requires a training period of course taken by a person who shows a capacity to grasp the skills and knowledge. This Doctor of Medical Science (Rheumatology) course is meant to meet this demand of future medical practice in Myanmar. Obviously the curriculum will need reviews and updates from time to time to keep up with the changes in medical knowledge, training, practice and philosophy.
3. Mission and Outcomes
The aim of this structured training is to develop fully competent Rheumatologist, by acquirement of knowledge, skill, attitude and behavior of a Rheumatologist who will be able to work as a consultant specialist who possesses habits of lifelong learning within the Myanmar Health Environment providing a high standard of professional service, after a defined period.
After completing the rheumatology specialty training, the candidate should be able to
- Apply fundamental principles of Basic Medical Science in relation to Rheumatology
- Implement rheumatology care in accordance with good medical practice and apply generic skills (ethics, communication skill, leadership, patient safety, humane care, professionalism) in day to day practice of rheumatology
- Apply theoretical knowledge of Rheumatology to daily care and follow up planning
- Conduct proper techniques and skills in the diagnosis, investigation and management of Rheumatological patients
- Conduct essential Rheumatological procedures skillfully in the management of Rheumatological diseases
- Identify and treat dermatological manifestations of Rheumatological diseases
- Choose and interpret various forms of Rheumatological imaging
- Describe essential components of intensive care and to conduct intensive care life support
- Choose relevant technical and material helps of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation for Rheumatological cases
- Submit a research paper which should be applicable for the interests of patients with Rheumatological diseases in a defined period