Department of Urology

 

1. History

The Department of Urology was actually started as “ The Urology Division” under the Department of Surgery in October 1958. The founder urologist was Dr Kyaw Than, the son of Professor Ba Than FRCS. The division was located at the Rangoon General Hospital.
The Urology Division was transformed to The Department of Urology officially only in 1990 and Dr Mya Thaung, then Chief Urologist ,was promoted to the Post of Professor / Head.
 

2.  Heads / Professors

Division of Urology, Department of Surgery

  • Dr Kyaw Than MBBS FRCS – 1958 Oct. to 1969 Jan.
  • Dr Kyaw Lin MBBS FRCS – 1970 Feb. to 1984 July.
  • Dr Mya Thaung MBBS FRCS(C) – 1984 Aug. to 1990 May.

Department of Urology

  • Prof. Mya Thaung
  • MBBS FRCS (C)
  • 1990 May to 1992 Oct
 
  • Prof. Than Aye
  • MBBS FRCS FRCSE DrMedSc (Uro)(Hons) FACS
  • 1992 Dec. to 2007 Jan