Orthopedic service in Myanmar began in 1951 with some beds in the general surgical wards in Rangoon General Hospital. Dr. P.F.Green was the first orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Ba Pu was awarded to study orthopedic and trauma at Harvard University, Boston and Trident, New Jersey in 1952 for two years and he became the first Burmese (Myanmar) orthopedic surgeon in 1955.Later on Dr. San Baw obtained the degree of Master of Surgery of Orthopedic (M.S.Ortho) from the Pennsylvania University in Philadelphia in 1958.
In 1966 November, the first in-country training course for orthopedic surgeons was set up at Rangoon General Hospital. It was a two year course and trainees were awarded as “Graded Specialist Certificate”. The second and third in-country courses were conducted in 1968 and 1970. In 1972, the first M.S (Ortho) course was introduced in the Institute of Medicine 1, Yangon and conferred after two and a half years M.S (Ortho) degree. Later on the title of the degree was changed to M.Med.Sc (Ortho).
||Dr.U San Baw
||Dr.U Ba Nyunt
||Prof.Khin Maung Tu
||Prof.Kyaw Myint Naing
||Prof.Christopherson Ah Maung
|| (2016-to date)
Senior Teaching Faculty
||Prof. Khin Maung Myint
||Prof. Aung Myo Win
||Prof. Saw Htut
||Prof. Aung Thein Htay
||Dr. Kyaw Min Soe
||Dr. Kyaw Zaya
||Dr. Toe Tint Aung
||Dr. Thet Oo
||Dr. Tin Maung Win
||Dr. Win Aung Kyi
||Dr. Myo Min Oo
Knowledge-Acquired and comprehensive knowledge of
- basic orthopedic principles
- common orthopedics disorders and injuries encountered in this country
- common orthopedics emergencies
Skill- Acquired and demonstrate skills in
- History taking and clinical examination for the diagnosis of common orthopedic disorder and injuries
- Interpreting results of relevant investigations
- Performing basic orthopedic procedures
- Delivering health education emphasizing preventive aspects of traumatic and orthopedic disorders.
Altitude-foster the development of correct attitude in:
- Patient management and care using available resources.
- providing community health care
- Continuing medical education, self-directed learning and basic research.
- observing moral and legal codes of medical ethics
- interpersonal relationships and co-operation with other sectors
- Recognizing orthopedic surgical and non-surgical conditions that required appropriate and prompt treatment.
Prescribed Texts and References
- Agur AMR & Dalley II AF (eds) (2013). Grant’s Atlas of Anatomy, 13th ed, Wolters Kluwer, Philadelphia.
- AO Manual of Principles in Internal Fixation.
- Bartleson JD & Deen HG (2009). Spine Disorders: Medical and Surgical Management, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Berger RA & Weiss APC (eds) (2004). Hand surgery, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Browner BD, Jupiter JB, Levine AM &Trafton PG (eds) (2003). Skeletal Trauma, Basic Science, Management, and Reconstruction, 3rd ed, Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Bucholz RW, Heckman JD, Court-Brown CM & Tornetta P (eds) (2010). Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Adults & Children, 7th ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Bullough PG (2010). Orthopaedic Pathology, 5th ed, Mosby Elsevier, Missouri.
- Canale ST & Beaty JH (eds) (2013). Campbell’s Operative Orthopaedics, 12th ed, Elsevier Mosby, Philadelphia.
- Chapman MW (2001). Chapman’s Orthopaedic Surgery, 3rd ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Clubfoot – Ponseti Management, 3rd
- Ellis H (2006). Clinical Anatomy, Applied anatomy for students and junior doctors, 11th ed, Blackwell Publishing, Massachusetts.
- Flynn ( ). Operative Technique in Pediatric Orthopaedics.
- Grundy D & Swain A (2002). ABC of Spinal Cord Injuries, 4th ed, BMJ Books, London.
- Haid RW, Subach BR & Rodts GE (eds) (2003). Advances in Spinal Stabilization, Karger dramroo, Basel.
- Hamblen DL & Simpson AHRW (eds) (2010). Adam’s Outline of Orthopaedics, 14th ed, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Hansen JT (ed) (2010). Netter’s Clinical Anatomy, 2nd ed, Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Hefti F (2007). Pediatric Orthopedics in Practice, 4th ed, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Herkowitz HN, Garfin SR, Eismont FJ, Bell GR & Balderston RA (eds) (2011). Rothman-Simeone: The Spine. Vol I & II, 6th ed, Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Herring JA (ed) (2008). Tachdjian’s Pediatric Orthopaedics, 4th ed, Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Hoppenfeld S, deBoer P & Buckley R (eds) (2009). Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics: The Anatomic Approach, 4th
- Jasmin C, Capanna R, Coleman R, Coia LR & Saillant G (eds) (2005). Textbook of bone metastases, Wiley, Chichester.
- Khurana JS (ed) (2009). Bone Pathology, 2nd ed, Humana Press, New York.
- Kirk RM & Ribbans WJ (eds) (2004). Clinical Surgery in General, RCS Course Manual, 4th ed, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Malawer MM & Sugarbaker PH ( ). Musculoskeletal Cancer Surgery: Treatment of Sarcomas and Allied Diseases. Washington Cancer Institute.
- McRae R (2004). Clinical Orthopaedic Examination, 5th ed, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Miller MD, Thompson SR & Hart JA (eds) (2012). Review of Orthopaedics, 6th ed, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Morrissy RT & Weinstein SL (eds) (2006). Lovell & Winter’s Pediatric Orthopaedics, 6th ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Pediatrics (2006), 3rdMorrissy RT & Weinstein SL (eds) (2006). Lovell & Winter’s Pediatric Orthopaedics, 6th ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Orthopaedic Research Society (2013). Orthopaedic Basic Science: Foundations of Clinical Practice, 4th ed, AAOS, Rosemont.
- OTA (2012). Instructional Course Lectures: Trauma 2, AAOS, Rosemont.
- OTA (2012). Trauma Guideline & Instructional Guideline.
- Owen R ( ). Scientific Foundation of Orthopaedics & Traumatology.
- Ruedi TP & Murphy WM (eds) (2000). AO Principles of Fracture Management, Thieme Stuttgart, New York.
- Schatzker J & Tile M (2005). The Rationale of Operative Fracture Care, 3rd ed, Springer, Berlin.
- Scott WN (ed) (2012). Insall & Scott Surgery of the Knee, 5th ed, Elsvier, Philadelphia.
- Solomon L, Warwick D & Nayagam S (eds) (2010). Apley’s System of Orthopaedics and Fractures, 9th ed, Hodder Arnold, London.
- Swanwick T & McKimm J (eds) (2011).ABC of Clinical Leadership, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford.
- Tanavalee A, Mow CS, Abbas AA, Azores GMS, Budhiparama NC & Lo NN (2013). Comprehensive Hip & Knee Textbook, ASEAN Arthroplasty Association, Holistic Publishing, Bangkok.
- Vigorita VJ ( ). Orthopaedic pathology, 2nd ed, Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Volgas DA & Harder Y (eds) (2011). AO Trauma: Manual of Soft-Tissue Management in Orthopaedic Trauma, Thieme Stuttgart, New York.
- Wiesel, Sankar, Delahay ( ). Principle of diagnosis and treatment in orthopaedics.
- Willams NS, Bulstrode CJK & O’Connell PR (eds) (2013). Bailey & Love’s Short Practice of Surgery, 26th ed, CRC Press, London.
- Wolfe SW, Hotchkiss RN, Pederson WC & Kozin SH (eds) (2011). Green’s Operative Hand Surgery, 6th ed, Elsevier, Philadelphia.