FACULTIES


FACULTY OF MEDICINE (1946)


Then the University was restructured on a unitary pattern and the previous constituent colleges (Rangoon College, Judson College, Medical College and Teacher Training College) became the Faculties with the respective Dean as the Head of each Faculty. As the result of these activities, the Medical College was transformed into "Faculty of Medicine", under the University of Rangoon with effect from 26th September 1946.

Dr. W. Barridge was appointed as the First Dean of the Faculty of Medicine.

 (Ref. Kyi Aung, Medical College Magazine, 50th Anniversary Issue, p.148).

Dr. U Min Sein was appointed in 1946 as Professor of Medicine and he was one of the Professors of post-war Rangoon University.

 (Ref. Rangoon University Annual Magazine p.1 87).

The Faculty of Medicine opened its classes in 1946, accepting the old pre-war students of medical college. The new intake of 30 students began in 1947.

 (Ref. Min Sein, Medical College Annual Magazine, 1951, page 6).

 Professor U Min Sein became the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine in 1947.

 On the declaration of independence of Burma on the 4th January 1948, all the senior British and Indian officers of Health Department and the Faculty of Medicine left Burma. The position of National Health in Burma was far from satisfactory. The then Burma Medical Council tried for re-employment of the retired doctors and asked for the aid of private practitioners for part time employment in government service but these efforts were not successful. There were shortages of doctors in Hospitals, the Health Departments and the Faculty of Medicine. The need was felt most acutely in the rural areas. Very few qualified doctors rallied to the need of the country, and the Faculty of Medicine was kept going with inadequate equipment and teaching personnel.

(Ref. Medical College Annual Magazine, Editorial, 1952).

THE DEANS, FACULTY OF MEDICINE YANGON UNIVERSITY

1.

Dr.W.Burridge

1946-1947

2.

Prof.Min Sein
M.B.(Cal.) F.R.C.P.(Edin.)

1947-1948

3.

Prof.Ba Than
M.B.(Cal.) F.R.C.S.

1948-1949

4.

Prof.Min Sein

1949-1951

5.

Prof.Ba Than

1951-1953

6.

Prof.Min Sein

1953-1955

7.

prof.Ba Than

1955-1957

8.

Prof.Min Sein

1957-1959

9.

Prof.Mg Gale
B.A.,M.B.C(Cal.) D.P.H.

1959-1964

STUDENT ADMISSION AND MEDICAL GRADUATES

To pursue a course of study in Medical College or Faculty of Medicine, a candidate should have passed the Intermediate Examination of the University of Rangoon in Chemistry, Physics and Biology (the first M.B., B.S. examination) or one of the examinations recognized by the General Medical Council of Great Britain. The annual admission of new students into Medical College was usually less than 30 in number with an exception of a few occasions. Even then, it was just over 30 till 1948. (table I).

From data from Table 2, only 20% of the students in the Medical College belonged to Burmese Nationals, and it is not surprising how few national doctors were produced during the colonial period.

 There was no student intake during 1942-45, as the University of Rangoon and Medical College suspended classes during the war.

Table I. Student Admission and Graduates University of Medicine (1) before Indepedence.

Period

Annual Intake

Total students on the rolls

M.B.,B.S. graduates

Remarks

1928-29

?

67

10

* 8LM & S on the roll

1929-30

19

71

7

 

1930-31

13

72

12

* 1LM & S passed

1931-32

23

78

8

* 3LM & S passed

1932-33

15

79

14

* 1LM & S passed

1933-34

24

88

9

 

1934-35

25

99

9

 

1935-36

31

118

?

 

1936-37

?

?

?

 

1937-38

?

151

17

 

1938-39

16

144

?

 

1939-40

?

153

12

 

1940-41

30

161

8

 

1942-45

No classes

 

 

 

1947

 

 

7

 

Note: Total MBBS graduate:- 140 during 25 years under British Rule

* Five out of Eight L M & S course students graduated.
? Data were not available.

(Ref. The Annual Reports by The Principals of Medical College from 1929 to 1941)

After gaining independence in 1948, the government of Independent Burma, because of the need of the country, allowed all students who gained "Eligible Marks" in the Intermediate (First year M.B.,B.S ) examination held by the Rangoon University to pursue medical studies. This policy led to four to five fold increases in the number of students in the Faculty of Medicine. The total number of students on the roll which never reached 200 during the British administration was 289 in 1949, 368 in 1950 and 421 in 1951 From the start, up to 1947, during the 25 years under the British Rule, there were only 140 MBBS doctors produced by the University of Medicine ( 1 ).

From time of Independence up to today, during 53 years of independence 10,006 doctors had been produced by the University of Medicine (1) alone. (Table- III ).

Table II. Classification of Medical Students by Races (Modified)

Period

Burmese Nationals

Indians

Anglo-Indians and others

Total

1929-30

16(22.5%)

40

15

71

1930-31

13(18%)

38

21

72

1931-32

13(16.6%)

36

29

78

1932-33

25(31.6%)

38

16

79

1933-34

15(17%)

47

26

88

1934-35

22(22.2%)

56

21

99

1935-36

27(22.8%)

69

22

118

1936-37

?

?

?

?

1937-38

?

?

?

?

1938-39

20(13.8%)

102

22

144

1939-40

?

?

?

?

1940-41

22(13.6%)

100

39

161

 

(Ref. The Annual Report by the Principal of Medical College during (1929-41).

Table III. Student Graduates after Independence University of Medicine (1)

Period

MBBS graduates

Remarks

1948-57

532

 

1958-67

1451

 

1968-77

2605

 

1978-87

2936

 

1988-97

1860

 

1998-2000

622

 

Total MBBS graduate from the University of Medicine ( 1 ):- 10006 during 53 years of Independence

(Ref. Prof. Min Sein, The Dean, Medical College Annual Magazine, 1951, page 5).

HOSTEL ACCOMMODATION

At the close of the year 1929-30, it was found that the second M.B.,B.S . undergraduates were provided with accommodation at the University Halls (Tagaung and Prome Halls) situated on Prome Road and the Third and Final year students were put up at Commissioner Road (now Bogyoké Aung San Road) Hostel. The woman students also occupied the Women's Hostel at Commissioner Road.

Later all male medical students were accommodated in Tagaung Hall and woman students in lnya Hall of the University College of Rangoon. Owing to The progressive increase in the numbers of University College (Rangoon) students requiring accommodation in the above hostels, the Principal of University College notified the Medical College that the hostel accommodation would no longer be available for medical students. Therefore the government was approached for renting of buildings as temporary hostels until such time that a permanent hostel for the Medical College had been materialized. The government approved this proposal.

(Ref. Ibid for the year 1939-40).

This project fell through due to the war. When the Faculty of Medicine was reopened in 1946 the medical students had to be accommodated in the hostels of the Rangoon University. The need for hostel became most urgent, as the number of students had increased many folds after the Independence of the country.

(Ref. Prof. Min Sein, Medical College Annual Magazine, 1951, p.6)